Thursday, December 27, 2012

GF Sugar Cookies (Bette Hagman)

I have made these sugar cookies for 8 years and officially for the first year ever my Mom is not making her gluten laden sugar cookies as everyone in the family prefers these ones!  They are sooo easy to work with (easier than the gluten ones)  and delicious! 



This recipe is completely Bette Hagman's from The Gluten-Free Gourmet (Revised Edition).  I do not change one thing at all!  When I started actually baking GF (instead of just going without) she was like a Godmother descending with amazing books for me to follow.  Bette passed away August 17, 2007 and I was sad that she was gone, but so blessed by the books she left.  I know you are saying there are tons of GF books out there now.  Yes there are, but not so long ago there were not and Bette's were.  So Cheers to you Bette and thank you for bringing amazing sugar cut outs back into my life. 

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

1 cup rice flour
¾ cup tapioca flour
¾ cup cornstartch

2 ½ tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening

1 egg or ¼ cup liquid egg substitute

2 tsp vanilla

¼ cup or more as needed potato starch flour (I don't use this at all, but use my counter with a bit of sugar) for kneading

Any decorations wanted…sprinkles frosting etc

Will be cooked in a preheated oven at 350

I always make a double batch at least.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, xantham gum, and salt (so much easier than sifting).  Set aside. 

In a mixing bowl (I use my kitchen aid) , cream the sugar and shortening.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients, mixing enough to combine.  The dough should form a soft ball.  With your hands, knead in enough of the potato starch flour to make the dough easy to handle and roll out.  You can cool this in the fridge…I often do, but they can be made right away as well. 

Working with half at a time (or ¼ if doubling), place a piece of plastic wrap (sooo important to use plastic wrap and on a “floured” surface) over the ball and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness…or so.  I have no idea what mine actually are I just do what I do.  Cut into desired shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheets.  My advice…don’t go to big on the size.  I use a spatula to lift them onto the cookie sheet.  Decorate before baking or after.  You can use all the scraps…scrape them together and roll out again the dough does not get tough and is so forgiving! 

Bake for about 13 mins.  Cook slightly before removing from cookie sheet.  Do not let them get brown. These cookies stay white so if they are browning they are definitely done.  Take them out before, just a slight tinged is okay. 

For fruit pizza I will roll this out on my pizza stone on top of a piece of parchment paper or…how we love doing it at our abode is to make round cookies and everyone adds what they want…the cream cheese mixtures (double double for this mama!) and whatever fruit they love.  It is super fun.  Any questions let me know I’ve made them for 8 years and love them!

 

1 comment:

  1. They are delicious and a lot of fun to make. A great way to get the whole family involved.

    ReplyDelete